Writing Tips        Vikings        Medieval History        Ancient Rome        Architecture        Old West        Travel        Vocabulary         

Historical Tidbit Thursdays - The Indian Tipi - Tipi 101 - #TidbitThursday

Howdy!

Welcome back to our weekly Historical Tidbit Blog Column!

I'm really excited to be able to share my research, my favorite reference books, shows or movies I've seen that inspire, as well as my passion for history with you in a quicker and more regular way. My focus will be on my current WIP (Work in Progress) - a western romance fiction novel. So I hope you enjoy!!

 
A little history on the word "tipi". Its formed from the Sioux word "ti" meaning "to dwell or live" and the word "pi" meaning "used for". Together, "tipi" means the place used to live in.
Upon closer inspection, you will notice tipis are not flat cones but are actually tilted with the back a little steeper. This anchors it a little more sturdily against winds, even very strong winds.
There were two main styles of tipis used by Plains Indians - a three-pole style or a four-pole style. Basically, the foundation was created with the three or four long poles and then additional poles were added around building a frame upon which to attach the cover and linings. Kiowas, Sioux and Cheyenne tribes preferred the 3-pole style while Crows, Blackfeet and Comanches preferred the 4-pole style.

Picture Credits: http://www.tipi.com/tipi-gallery/


Source:
"The Indian Tipi: Its History, Construction, and Use" by Reginald and Gladys Laubin
ISBN#0-8061-2236-6

No comments:

Post a Comment