Review - Book - Medieval Children by Nicholas Orme
"Medieval Children" by Nicholas Orme
Interesting book on aspects of raising children during the Medieval period.
A few interesting things I learned:
- "By 1493, the royal family was enforcing strict checks upon nurses' and babies' food. Whatever the nurse ate and drank herself was to be 'assayed' or tasted beforehand, for quality, by the household staff."
- They used bibs or "slavering clouts"
- Babies are given underclothes, petticoats, hose, coats, etc.
- Babies wore nappies (diapers)
- A cricket was a nursing stool or later a child's stool
Posted by Wendy Quest