Lately I've been having an aggravating time with Microsoft Word, especially if I am reading critiques from others who have different settings than me. So I would like to post some helpful hints, starting with Auto-Formatting options.
1. Superscripting ordinal numbers (such as 1st, 2nd, 3rd)
2. Setting straight quotes vs smart quotes
3. Change fractions to the smaller fractional format
If you want to change any of these options, follow these steps:
For pre-2007 Word:
1. Go to Tools menu
2. Select "AutoCorrect Options"
3. Click "AutoFormat As You Type" tab
4. Uncheck the options you want to turn OFF.
5. Click Ok to save.
For 2007 Word:
1. Go to File menu
2. Click "Word Options" button at the bottom
3. Select "Proofing" in the left menu
4. Select "AutoCorrect Options" button
5. Click "AutoFormat As You Type" tab
6. Uncheck the options you want to turn OFF.
7. Click Ok to save.
For more helpful hints, check out: