Writing Tips        Vikings        Medieval History        Ancient Rome        Architecture        Old West        Travel        Vocabulary         

Historical Tidbit Thursdays - The Indian Tipi - Tipi 102 - #TidbitThursday

Howdy!

Welcome back to our weekly Historical Tidbit Blog Column!


I'm really excited to be able to share my research, my favorite reference books, shows or movies I've seen that inspire, as well as my passion for history with you in a quicker and more regular way. My focus will be on my current WIP (Work in Progress) - a western romance fiction novel. So I hope you enjoy!!

The average family tipi was 18 to 20 feet in diameter utilizing 21 to 25 foot long poles. Smaller lodges used for hunting and other purposes would be 12 feet in diameter utilizing 15 foot long poles. A council lodge would be 30 feet in diameter and contained almost nothing since it was used for meetings.
Framework poles were usually made of pine or fir (strong, flexible and lightweight).
Tipis that were 12 feet in diameter used about 10 buffalo hides to cover it. Tipis that were 16 feet in diameter used about 14 hides to cover it. Poles extended 4-6 feet beyond the cover.
Tipi covers were semicircular shaped with long lapels near the middle of the straight edge.

Picture Credits: http://www.tipi.com/tipi-gallery/


Source:
"The Indian Tipi: Its History, Construction, and Use" by Reginald and Gladys Laubin
ISBN#0-8061-2236-6

No comments:

Post a Comment